Thursday, February 14, 2013

How do I love thee . . .

Is love measured best when it is expected?  For instance, is the annual tradition of Valentine's Day the optimum time to determine the depth of a partner's love?  Is a romantic evening the best measure of commitment? 

For many of us, Sunday morning is the romantic date with God.  Nice clothes, better than usual hygiene, tempered responses to stimuli, nicer than usual interaction with others, holier than thou righteousness, expected activities, etc.

Isn't the love I have for my wife better measured when we are alone and no one else sees us?  Aren't "normal" days a better measure of how I treat her?  Anyone can be nice a few hours a year. 

How often have we attempted to measure our love for God by using our Sunday as the ruler?  God, forgive me when I treat you like an appointment on my calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment