Wednesday, February 6, 2013

FB: A Window to the Soul

I am amazed by the posts people place on Facebook.  They are at times crass, mean-spirited, vulgar, insensitive, unchristian, silly, childish, but they are always revealing.

As a pastor, I am amused by the number of people who have "friended" me who clearly don't realize (or care about) who reads their personal garbage.  I have read language I would never associate with an open dialogue.  I have been party to personal discussions of a sexual nature.  I have read the bile spewed by one FB user at another.  All manner of inappropriate communication seems viable on FB with little to no filter on the part of the authors.  It is as if many people think no one sees what they are writing.  (1) If you think no one is reading your trash, why do you write it.  (2) If you realize your FB "friends" are reading this stuff, why do you write it. 

I have to say that I see this as a very good thing.  This uncensored, honest portrayal of life in America may be one of the most insightful tools toward understanding where we are as a society.  I would rather people act as they are than act as they aren't.  I don't like the garbage, but I would rather have real garbage than garbage that has been waxed and buffed to look like something else. 

FB: a window to the soul

No comments:

Post a Comment