Thursday, February 7, 2013

"Churches-Church of Christ/Christian" or "Non-denominational"?

The congregation I serve is finally cancelling our Yellow Pages ad.  It is amazing the cost savings we will receive.  I asked my secretary yesterday if we even had one in the office.  For all intents and purposes, the internet had become the 21st century version of the YP. 

In order to cancel your YP ad, you must send a letter to the Cancellations Dept. and notify them that you would no longer like to be included in their book.  The employee I spoke to on the phone about the process also let me know that we needed to state where we would like our complimentary listing to go, or we would forfeit any listing.  I was grateful for that bit of information.

So, now the decision had to be made as to where our listing would be placed.  We have been under the "Churches-Churches of Christ/Christian" for years.  In fact, we are the only listing under that heading which makes me wonder why we ever felt a bold listing was needed when we already stick out like a sore thumb.  Other area "sister" churches are listed under the title "Churches-Church of Christ" or "Churches-Christian." 

While these categories area utilized by many churches across the country, I find it ironic that my Restorationist tradition chooses to use definitions that give us a definite denominational feel.  I am certainly not anti-denominational in the sense that I see a hierarchy as evidence of an apocalyptic connection to the beast or anything like that.  I do choose to be a part of independent congregations that govern, serve, and direct their own flock.  I see this as a faithful approach to the Biblical model. 

The question I have is "Should we be listed under "Churches-Non-denominational" rather than any other category of denomination?  I will probably opt for the category we are already in just without the bold text. 

It's hard to believe that bold text costs about $600/year.  I really wouldn't think you would use that much more ink.

No comments:

Post a Comment