Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Question about Gastronomic Choices

Long discussions can be had about favorite foods.  The Best Thing I Ever Ate is a great show on the Food Network that asks famous chefs, "What is the best thing you ever ate?"  The responses are interesting.  Occasionally, they answer with a famous, well-known high end restaurant, but at other times their answer reflects the wonder of the dish in a small, not-so-famous eatery. 

My favorite food has decidely little to do with the size 0r expense of the restaurant.  A little Italian place, Rocco's Ristaurante, in Ceredo, WV, has a great gnocci verde that I love.  I haven't had it for 20+ years, but it is one of my favorites.  A Smokey burger from Smokey Valley Truck Stop in Olive Hill, KY, is always at the top of my list.  The braised pork shank from Roast, Michael Symon's restaurant in downtown Detroit, MI, is the only dish from a high profile chef.

I would rather go to any of those restaurants instead of one of those bright-lights-cool-memorabilia-sports-bar places.  All the spectacle.  All the baubles.  All the hype.  For me, they just don't work.  I like great food.  I want to enjoy the meal where ever it might be.  Don't distract me with the other stuff.

If only I were so discriminating in my spiritual life.  My wife, Paula, and I have often talked about where we would worship if we weren't in the local ministry.  We like big, small, intimate, discipling, active, vibrant, serving.  We are entering a new phase of life as our son will be graduating from high school soon.  What would we do as empty-nesters in a few years? 

What if I chose a congregation like I now choose food?  No hype.  No sales slogans.  No mass of people crowding the room.  Just great food.  Where would I go if I were looking for The Best Place I Ever Worshipped or The Best Place I Ever Served God or The Best Place for My Spiritual Development? 

Restaurants are proof that just because a lot of people show up it doesn't mean that they have good food?  I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment