Thursday, October 25, 2012

They will know you are my disciples . . .

Several weeks ago I responded to a question on an FB ministers group.  I just thought I would weigh in on the question.  I gave my little shot at the answer and was berated as "unBiblical" and condescended by "Where did you come up with that?"  Honestly, I thought about a response for a day or so and then decided to just let it go.  My words of wisdom were not worth wasting on such a brother.  What did happen as I watched FB was an avalanche of people who agreed with me falling down upon my brother in Christ.

I almost posted a response to a question from a friend of mine on the same FB forum today.  Almost is the operative word.  I chose not to join in on the fun today.  Frankly, I don't need that in my life.

Then it hit me.  An epiphany.  A bright light shining upon us.  The curtain pulled back.  The mystery revealed.  I have to admit that I am rather sad at this new revelation of mine. 

How will the world ever look at us and take us seriously if we treat one another "just like the pagans do" and sometimes worse?

Ironically, my friend's question today was about unity in the body.

I think the problem with us is that we have the notion that if we believe the same things then we will have unity.  Orthodoxy does not seem to bring such unity.  Perhaps that is due to the many variations of the same truth that we can all delineate.  Maybe it is because the promise of orthodoxy does not really offer what we seek to find in it.

Our movement has also pushed the idea that if we do things the same way that we will certainly have unity.  Right?  The New Testament pattern and all that.  Such orthopraxy rarely brings us to such unanimity.  Most Restoration Movement churches practice church and ministry the same, but we are far from united. 

My take on the unity thing is that we need to listen to the Master and aquiesce to His teaching.  "By this all men will know you are my disciples, if you love one another." (NIV)  Orthopathy is the key.  The issue is not do believe the same thing or do we do the same things.  The real important thing is love.  Do we have the same heart?

This gets to the crux of the issue.   Where is your heart?  Where is your will?  Where is your passion?

We should have the same beliefs.  We should practice the same actions.  However, without the proper heart, we can be as "whitewashed tombstones" or today's version of Jesus' Pharisees. 

I believe in the importance of an integrated spiritual self.  Jesus' radical call did not ask for the surrender of my thoughts or actions or feelings.  This is no multiple choice request.  He demands all of us-our head, our hands, and our heart.  "All of the above."  This reality is lived in our communal reality known as the church.  The church will always be a reflection of those who make up its composition.

Perhaps if we get over our arrogance as the only ones who believe correctly and practice the ancient faith appropriately we can get down to the real work of the Kingdom.  Maybe, just maybe then we can see the desire of Jesus fulfilled.  "May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and Have loved them even as you have loved me.  Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.  Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me.  I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them."

They will know you are my disciples . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment