Monday, October 15, 2012

Rainy Days and Mondays Always Get Me Down

Yesterday was a great Sunday!  Big crowd, great worship, simple sermon, awesome fellowship, second time visitors, good adult Bible school, fine Bible study last night, the Detroit Tigers and Lions both won.  What more could a person ask for?

Monday is still Monday though. 

Back to the grind.  Work on another profound, moving sermon.  Develop a great adult Bible school lesson.  Check up on all the missing and sick.  Plan for future events.  Worry about . . . 

The cycle of the ministry week can get daunting after a few decades.  The need to outdo and out perform can wear on a soul.  The joys of good Sundays and the pains of poorly attended celebrations move me through endless cycles of hope and despair.  Weeks without end with no breaks except for the all too infrequent vacation.  In fact, planning for being gone is sometimes worse than getting away.

Getting caught in the cycle can be a bit like getting caught in a revolving door.  We are always moving but going nowhere.  We can become so focused on the movement of the moment that we never consider the destination.  Where are we going anyway?

I am going to take a sabbatical today.  Oh, I will still be in my office and in the hospital, but I am not going to start the cycle until tomorrow.  Sermon prep will wait.  Lessons can formulate tomorrow.  Planning can be done later.  On Mondays, I need to refocus, digest, and let go.  Today, I will collect and center myself.  Tomorrow I will tackle Tuesday like it was Monday.

I sure hope it doesn't rain tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment