Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Evolution or Revolution

Paula and I have watched the new show, (R)Evolution, for several episodes now.  The series' premise is that something has taken the worlds power and our world has been thrown into chaos.  While I find the show mildly entertaining, I find the juxtaposition of revolution and evolution fascinating.  (I can rarely enjoy anything for its face value.  My mind tends to go other places.)

Evolutionary theory has so totally won the day in our lifetime that the implications can be felt in almost every arena of life.  The greater prowess of athletes today is chalked up to evolution without mentioning the environmental factors of research, health, sports physiology, etc.  Contemporary views about morality and ethical behavior almost certainly deny the truth within the old ways of thinking and extol the higher order of a new evolved morality. 

I am not one to deny the implications of biological evolution or even social evolution, but I must scream from the mountain tops that this is not the fundamental nature of the Kingdom.  This current thought process is so ingrained within our psyche that even ministerial and congregational practice is determined by a pseudo-evolutionary theory.  "If we do this, then we can do this, then we will become that."

I see more of a revolutionary pattern within the Kingdom of God.  From the prophets of the OT to Jesus in the Gospels to the apostles on the Day of Pentecost, God seems to prefer revolution or revival to progressive, systematic change.  Don't misunderstand me.  I certainly see a place for such change in the Kingdom.  I just believe that it tends to be what we choose as opposed to what God would like to deliver.

The inbreaking of the Spirit and the working of God are not evolutionary ticks in our progressive development.  God moves in and turns things upside down and inside out.  God makes sinners priests and lost people guides.  He lifts up the weak and brings down the mighty.  He demonstrates the faith of a child who cannot explain herself and defies the confessions of the haughty who feel they have intellectually tamed the God of the universe. 

We spend so much of our time focused upon the momentary steps that we may very well miss the more important moments when God is trying to change and reform.  Deconstruction may be to revolution what construction is to evolution.  The chaos of revolution vies against the order of evolution.  The ABC's and 123's of evolution are disturbed in the alphabet soup of God's revolutionary work.

Becoming is one of my favorite words in Scripture.  The real issue may not be what we are but what we are becoming which is never so easy to quantify, qualify, or control.  The question is "How do we become?"  Progressively or radically? 

I must say that I have progressively changed during my time with Christ.  There is no doubt.  I understand more, live a better life, practice devotion more faithfully, hear Him more.  But, the greatest moments of change in my life have been seismic, titanic, spectacular movements of God.  Jesus moves us from sinner to saint, cripple to long jumper, thoughtless to thoughtful, hatred to love, self-centered to Christ-centered. 

Lord, send revival!  Lord, bring a revolution to my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment